05/17/2023: Important Changes Coming: Popmoney Sunsetting and the Rise of Mobile Wallets
Popmoney Personal Payments Service, currently offered within our personal internet banking platform will be discontinued on June 30th, 2023. We understand that a number of you have relied on this platform for digital transactions, and we appreciate your understanding as it is retired.
The good news is, technology has paved the way for many alternative digital payment solutions that are not only convenient but also offer a variety of added benefits. One of these alternatives is the use of mobile wallets.
What is a Mobile Wallet?
Mobile wallets are applications on your smartphone that store your debit or credit card information, allowing you to make transactions directly from your phone. Some of the most popular mobile wallets include Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.
Can I Use Mobile Wallet to Send Money to Another Person?
Yes! Many mobile wallets allow you to send money directly to another person using their phone number or email address. The process is similar to how Popmoney functions:
Apple Pay (via iMessage):
- Open a conversation in iMessage with the person you want to send money to.
- Tap the Apple Pay button below the message field.
- Enter the amount, then tap “Pay.”
- Review your payment, then tap the send button to send the payment.
- Open the Google Pay app.
- At the bottom, tap “Send.”
- Enter the phone number or email address of the person you want to send money to.
- Enter the amount and a note (optional), then hit “Send.”
Samsung Pay (via Samsung Pay Cash):
- Open the Samsung Pay app and select “Pay Cash.”
- Tap on “Send” and enter the recipient’s phone number or email address.
- Enter the amount and tap “Send.”
Please note that the recipient will need to have an account with the respective mobile wallet to receive the money. If they don’t, they will receive a message with instructions on how to set one up.
Are There Other Reasons to Use a Mobile Wallet?
Of course! Mobile wallets offer several advantages over traditional payment methods:
- Convenience: With a mobile wallet, you can make payments directly from your smartphone, even if you forget your physical cards at home.
- Safety and Security: Mobile wallets use encrypted software to secure your personal and financial information. In addition, you can quickly lock your mobile wallet remotely if your phone is lost or stolen. (Click here to learn how to lock your mobile wallet remotely.)
- Speed: Mobile wallets enable contactless payments, which are often faster than cash or card transactions. This is particularly beneficial in today’s fast-paced world.
- Integration with Other Apps: Mobile wallets can be linked to other apps for seamless transactions. This means you can use your mobile wallet to pay for rideshares, food deliveries, and even to split bills with friends.
Transitioning to a mobile wallet is a simple process. You can download your preferred mobile wallet app from your device’s app store, add your debit or credit card information, follow the on-screen instructions and you’re all set.
Visit our Online Education Center to learn more about Mobile Wallets by clicking here.
We understand that change can be challenging, and we’re here to assist. Our staff is ready to answer any questions or concerns you may have about this transition. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to continuing to serve your financial needs.
How to Lock Your Mobile Wallet Remotely
If your phone is lost or stolen, it’s crucial to act quickly to secure your mobile wallet and other personal information. Here’s how you can do it for some of the most popular mobile wallets:
- Sign in to iCloud.com/find with your Apple ID.
- Click on “All Devices,” then select your iPhone.
- Click on “Lost Mode” (iOS 13 or later) or “Lock” (iOS 12 or earlier). This will disable all payments from your phone, even if it’s offline.
- Go to your Google Account.
- Under the “Security” section, find “Your devices.” Click “Manage devices.”
- Choose the phone that you lost, then click “Remove.”
- Visit the Find My Mobile website and sign in to your Samsung account.
- Select “Lock my screen,” which will disable the Samsung Pay app.
Remember, these actions do not physically lock your device, but they prevent unauthorized transactions from your mobile wallet. To further ensure the security of your device, consider enabling remote lock or wipe features, if available, to prevent access to other sensitive information.
*Message and data rates may apply to mobile banking.